Wednesday, November 18, 2009

my evolution of differentiation

when i was in high school, i thought that the best way to share my faith was to be as much like everyone else as possible, but just a little happier and having a little bit more fun.

in college, i started to realize that my life should look different from the rest of the world if i was truly a christian. however, in many ways i still accommodated the world, not wanting to be too radical in my faith, lest i push some people away from jesus.

"do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God" james 4:4

the more i grow in my faith, the more that i realize that God is changing me to be radically different than my peers who know christ. in some ways it is very uncomfortable. but i do rejoice that God is changing me and making me more like Himself.

here is a quote i absolutely love from one of my favorite mark driscoll sermons ever:

"Tell me if this is a great place. Tell me if the addiction, compulsion, suicide, death… that is not a culture of life and grace and freedom and joy… its not.

So, here’s the deal, we are an alternative lifestyle church…

Getting naked, being gay, getting drunk, that’s not an alternative that’s the majority.

You want to be counter-cultural? You want to be a total rebel? Get a job.

Want to be countercultural, totally alternative, radical?! Be a VIRGIN until you get married…. To a person of the OPPOSITE gender…. And then STAY married and pump out some kids…. And pay your taxes and read your bible… you FREAK. You’ll be just totally the rebel."

more to come on my rebellion against the culture...

No comments:

Post a Comment